Sunday, May 08, 2011

Another odd coincidence

Yesterday I was reading an article in the New Yorker on David Deutsch's work on quantum computing, and especially his embrace of the "Many Worlds" hypothesis. This is the idea that anything that could have happened but didn't, happened in a different universe, and anything that may happen, but doesn't, will happen in a different universe.

After Shabbos, for some odd reason which I can't recall, I googled the Codex Seraphinianus, and was led through a series of links to the Borges short story - "The Garden of Forking Paths" which I had not read before. In this story written in 1941, Borges describes a "many worlds" version of a novel. He had this idea 16 years before Hugh Everitt came up with his theory in 1957...

3 Comments:

Blogger Aryeh said...

I think a lot about this idea. I enjoyed Deutsch's book. have you read it?

May 09, 2011 10:29 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Unfortunately, have not read it yet. It's in the queue...

Aryeh,

Have you commented here before under a different handle?

May 09, 2011 11:42 AM  
Blogger Aryeh said...

I have. A few different handles. I'm an old timer

May 11, 2011 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home