Wednesday, August 27, 2008

From the Diary of Felix Landau

Drohobycz - 12 July 1941... At 6:00 in the morning I was suddenly awoken from a deep sleep. Report for an execution. Fine, so I'll just play executioner and then gravedigger, why not?... Twenty-three had to be shot, amongst them ... two women ... We had to find a suitable spot to shoot and bury them. After a few minutes we found a place. The death candidates assembled with shovels to dig their own graves. Two of them were weeping. The others certainly have incredible courage... Strange, I am completely unmoved. No pity, nothing. That's the way it is and then it's all over... Valuables, watches and money are put into a pile... The two women are lined up at one end of the grave ready to be shot first... As the women walked to the grave they were completely composed. They turned around. Six of us had to shoot them. The job was assigned thus: three at the heart, three at the head. I took the heart. The shots were fired and the brains whizzed through the air. Two in the head is too much. They almost tear it off...

3 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

Urk. That was fairly stomach turning. Especially as it lead me to the wikipedia entry. If he was sentenced to life in Germany, how come he died in Austria?

August 28, 2008 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where else to turn, but I appreciated your comments on xgh's blog. Do you know of a way I can contact xgh or gain access to his now "invite only" blog?? It was a much-needed outlet for me.

Thanks!

Jake

August 28, 2008 6:49 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Jake,

You can reach him at godolhador at gmail.com

Good luck with everything...

August 28, 2008 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home