Friday, May 05, 2006

The "L" word

I guess I am finally fed up with the negative connotations of the word "Liberal" that are almost taken for granted these days.

Take for example comments from this post:

kahaneloyalist said...

Baalot Teshiva, what exactly do Reform Jews mean when they talk about Tikkun Olam? From my interaction with them it seems to mean embrace whatever liberal cause is currently popular.

12:05 PM

Ba'alat Teshuva said...

Kahane Loyalist--That is my experience as well. Global warming, welfare, civil rights, etc.

When did concern about global warming, human welfare, and civil rights become perjorative terms. Look, don't get me wrong. I am not saying that the specific policies as proposed by various political parties are not flawed either in concept or execution, but how can a person be indicted these days for saying that you embrace civil rights, or eradication of poverty, or concern about the environment? "Tzedek, Tzedek tirdof!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

I think they are questioning the motivation of many people who shout the loudest about embracing those issues. I don't think they'd insult people who are genuinely interested.

May 05, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

What Irina said. In addition, I've seen the same when speaking about conservative beliefs.

May 06, 2006 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home