Monday, April 17, 2006

Venus in Furs


Irina is blogging that often sex and violence is gratuitous, while Tobie points out that sometimes it is necessary.
DBS promotes Objective Morality without God, but in the fascinating post and comments no one mentions the aspect of morality that has nothing to do with treatment of others - the inward looking assessment of one's soul. Or to put it in Judaistic terms, "bein adam l'atzmo"? Meanwhile, my mind is incubating all these ideas as it listens to the Velvet Underground.

For some reason, the song "Venus in Furs" has captured my soul. Its music - an Elizabethan ballad mixed with the droning influences of Greek, perhaps Moroccan styles. The subject matter - sadomasochism. The title of the piece is the name of the book by the eponymous Baron Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch.

And as much as personally I am puzzled by masochism and as much as it holds no attraction for me in any way that I can discern, the words of the song ring in my head:

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girlchild in the dark
Clubs and bells, your servant, don’t forsake him
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

Downy sins of streetlight fancies
Chase the costumes she shall wear
Ermine furs adorn the imperious
Severin, Severin awaits you there

I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears

Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather
Shiny leather in the dark
Tongue of thongs, the belt that does await you
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

Severin, severin, speak so slightly
Severin, down on your bended knee
Taste the whip, in love not given lightly
Taste the whip, now plead for me

I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girlchild in the dark
Severin, your servant comes in bells, please don’t forsake him
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

5 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

That is a VERY interesting subject matter to compose about. You know, leather aside (it's always cool), I've always tried to figure out what repulses me more: the sadism part or the masochism part. And I figured that I probably find the masochistic part a little bit more distasteful, because, well, just because. Meaning, I would never, under any circumstances, would want *myself* to play the part of the slave. I wouldn't want to play the part of the mistress either, but at least it's not threatening to me personally. Ah well.

April 18, 2006 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Velvets. They made great music. And thought provoking after all these years.

April 18, 2006 10:45 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Irina:

What I find mindblowing about S&M is that as much as it is a huge turnoff for many people, and as much as many more can't understand what the attraction is, for those who get into it, they lose their mind over it.

Different strokes, as they say.

Amishav:
I am divided on my opinion on the Velvets. Some of their songs just blow me away, yet many others are like noise to me. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

April 18, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger dbs said...

Just part of that great human landscape. Freud had a few thoughts, but it took Lou Reed to really do it justice.

April 22, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

I dont understand the draw either(the s and m), but I have come to learn that fetishes run the gammet and, well, I am envious of the passion that people feel for things like that and even religion and politics... I am feeling quite passionless these days! lol

nice blog btw

April 26, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home