Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Elizabeth Bishop

I came across a poem in the New Yorker by Elizabeth Bishop which I thought was beautiful. It reminds me of another poem, by Boris Pasternak called Winter Night. Of course, as Nabokov wrote vehemently, you cannot translate poetry, so the Pasternak translation is a pale shadow of the original.

Anyhow, here is the Bishop poem - enjoy!

Close, close all night
the lovers keep.
They turn together,
in their sleep,

close as two pages
in a book
that read each other
in the dark.

Each knows all
the other knows,
learned by heart
from head to toes

2 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

I love it. I'm lucky enough to have a volume of her poetry... I should put a couple up. There's a really great one about a Fish, and about a fake issue of the National Geographic.

April 11, 2006 6:14 PM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

That is beautiful.

Chag Kasher V'Sameach!

April 12, 2006 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home