Sunday, April 30, 2006

Old Couples

Sometimes I look at old couples. Really old, maybe in their eighties or nineties. The man and woman sit next to each other silently. Grey haired, stooped. They don't speak. They don't fidget. They aren't in a hurry.

They aren't bickering, but neither do they seem affectionate. They seem disconnected from the world. It is as if they are still together through habit and nothing else, like a disintegrating spaceship in that peculiar orbit where the debris will keep circling the Earth, though the vessel is no longer intact.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

That's what I'm really afraid of in a relationship. That eventually it will turn into a habit. But then sometimes I see the old couples who seem crazier about each other than some young couples... so I guess it all depends on people.

April 30, 2006 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I can still sit when I'm in my 80s and 90s! Jeez man, what do you expect? If you have perceived that in couples in their 30s and 40s, then you might have a point.

May 01, 2006 6:28 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Seems like people are perceiving a negative vibe in my description.

That's not at all where I was going... I am not saying that there's something wrong with the way these people interrelate. I was just trying to describe something that seems to transcend typical couple behavior. I am not passing judgement, just observing.

May 01, 2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

It sounded like a downer to me as well. But in general, when I see couples like that, while I do see that I also see the incredible love and trust there - it's just shown in different ways by then (much as it's different when you're engaged and when you're married 2 years).

May 01, 2006 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home