Wednesday, January 12, 2011

So a couple of Jews decide to hijack a plane

On June 15, 1970 a certain Jewish baby boy was born in Kiev. On the same day, a group of desperate Soviet Zionists attempt to hijack a plane and fly it to Israel. The attempt failed and they were arrested on the tarmac. The leaders were sentenced to death, but the sentence was commuted after an international outcry. (Full story)

Did my parents know about this as they were taking me home from the hospital? Was it discussed in the Soviet press to set an example or was it completely hushed up to prevent others from getting any ideas? Does anyone remember this act today or has it been relegated to the cob-webbed archives of history?

4 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

I remember reading about it. But I do not remember it from that year.

January 12, 2011 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Nechama said...

I love this song! It has been on my iPod for some time now along with a few others by A. Severnyi. But I had no idea that it was based on actual events... The man who sings is was quite an interesting character...

January 13, 2011 12:46 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

>The man who sings is was quite an interesting character...

Yes, he was. And apparently not a Jew, right?

January 13, 2011 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Nechama said...

I am not sure if he was a Jew or not...I always thought that he was. There is a documentary about him: http://www.5-tv.ru/video/1015676/

The frequently present Jewish flavor in his songs and use of Yiddish phrases and words in his songs make me think that he was a Jew.

January 13, 2011 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home