Friday, October 29, 2010

Melanie Safka on songs

"'Brand New Key' I wrote in about fifteen minutes one night. I thought it was cute; a kind of old thirties' tune. I guess a key and a lock have always been Freudian symbols, and pretty obvious ones at that. There was no deep serious expression behind the song, but people read things into it. They made up incredible stories as to what the lyrics said and what the song meant. In some places, it was even banned from the radio. My idea about songs is that once you write them, you have very little say in their life afterward. It's a lot like having a baby. You conceive a song, deliver it, and then give it as good a start as you can. After that, it's on its own. People will take it any way they want to take it."

1 Comments:

Blogger Miri said...

My mom was just telling us all about her Melanie Safka records; she's obsessed with the commercial with the baby. :)

November 01, 2010 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home