Monday, September 27, 2010

Feast of the Tabernacles

For most of us, the Jewish holidays require taking time off of work. This is especially rough in Tishrei because it seems like every week or so, you are taking off a couple of days. Justifying it to your boss and coworkers can be somewhat challenging.

Thank God we live in a country where almost everyone has heard of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. But then, Succos comes around and you are taking off two days.

"Boss, I need to take off for a Jewish holiday."

"Really? I thought you just had them."

"Well, there is another one coming up."

"Oh, what is it about?"

"Well, we build these little huts and sit in them waving some palm branches."

At this point, they usually start looking at you funny. I suspect they think I am pulling their leg. Now, when Shmini Atzeres comes around, I don't even try to explain...

Lately, I've been using a strategy that seems to work pretty well. When people ask me about Succos, I just say - "It's an old Biblical holiday - I believe the Christians call it 'The Feast of the Tabernacles'". This usually shuts them up and they leave you alone. No more questions.

I think most people have no freakin' clue of what a 'Tabernacle' is...

4 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

A tabernacle is something that makes Mormons sing.

September 27, 2010 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Nechama said...

Ah, the joys of those moments when we are reminded that we do live in a Christian country! Well, at least we know about celebrating Succot (vs many in our parents' generation) and have the opportunity to do it! Hag Sameach!

September 30, 2010 4:22 AM  
Blogger Lady-Light said...

Are you the Unreasonable Man?

October 01, 2010 1:02 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

>Are you the Unreasonable Man?

LL,
You betcha - just ask my wife :)

October 04, 2010 7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home