Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bayern

I came across this picture on a blog of an ex-Bavarian and it brought back memories.

Back in freshman year of college, I found myself in a symbiotic relationship with a bunch of former Air Force guys who were going back to school on the GI Bill. Since the Air Force guys were all graduates of the Defense Language Institute, the most logical major for them was Russian, and with a relative dearth of native speakers, I was a hot commodity. In return, they plied me with beer and stories of their escapades in Crete, Okinawa, and Germany.

When forced by economic circumstances, the guys would order Augsburger, grumbling that the Germans who brewed it in Wisconsin were exiled there as a consequence of their poor beer-brewing skills. But more often than not, they would order 500ml bottles of Tucher.

Ah, Tucher. Hefeweizen - wheat yeast, with a cloudy sediment that swirls in the glass as you pour it. A wedge of lemon to accentuate the slight sourness of the beer. Elixir of the gods.

Must get some tonight!

4 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

Um, yeah, you make that sound so enticing - have one for me too!

January 10, 2008 9:03 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

I'll force myself!

January 10, 2008 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're a Hefeweizen fan? I heard it's more of a summer drink

January 10, 2008 3:00 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

It's definitely very enjoyable in the summer. And I don't drink it all the time, because after a while I get sick of it. But I haven't had a hefeweizen for probably 6 months, and I haven't had a Tucher probably for 3 or 4 years.

January 10, 2008 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home