Thursday, October 25, 2007

Happiness

















Lately, I have made a conscious decision to become happier. And I've discovered that material things truly make me happy. So I bought a sheitel...


No, not really. I am going to buy this DVD: Masada - The Complete Epic Mini-Series . Does anyone remember this miniseries? I remember watching it on TV, I was about 11, and I really thought it was cool. So a few weeks ago, I was sitting in shul on Shabbos, and the guest sha'tz launches into this Adon Olam melody which sounds strangely familiar. And then it hits me that this is the theme from the Masada TV movie from 1981. Now, I don't know which came first, the melody or the movie, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head that I wanted to see it again. And guess what, the magic of Amazon is once again coming through for me!

But Masada by itself will not make me happy. I need more stuff. Now, in the Chicagoland area we have a really fantastic Botanic Garden, and I try to go there as much as I can. If there is one thing that can just take away stress immediately - this is the place. One of my favorite spots in the Garden is the English Walled Garden. Take a look. So I got it in my head to build one of these suckers in my backyard. At this point, those of you familiar with the size of a standard lot in Skokie, are probably laughing. So, the odds of me building this in my backyard are slim to none, and slim just left the building. But in the meanwhile, I did learn a few things about English Gardens and brickwork.

OK. So having struck out in the English Garden department, I moved on to the next thing. I am a pretty average guitar player. Self-taught, can play some chords. But lately I've been thinking that what I really want to do is become a bass player. First of all, it's like playing guitar, but easier since there are really no chords. Second of all, it fits my personality style. I don't like to ham it up in front of people - I can be just as happy supporting the axe-man. And finally, everyone knows that bass players are cool. They just are. Take a look at Flea in this video. About half way through, his fingers are moving so fast, it looks like there is a strobe light in the room. How awesome is that? It's totally off the hook! (This is how really cool base players talks)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home