Monday, October 15, 2007

FrumSpeak - a mild annoyance

It seems that a lot of speeches that I hear in frum circles start with an intro that goes something like this - "I would like to share with you an amazing idea that I heard from ...".

I don't know why this rubs me the wrong way, but it does. When someone says something like this, I expect them to tell me something truly amazing (like maybe they discovered how to break the speed of light or maybe they found Noach's Ark), and it never is the case. It is usually some mushy cliche or a rather ho-hum and uninspiring homily.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

So in your world, people would introduce vortlach with "so I heard something kind of clever...no, actually, really pretty mediocre...well, decent, I suppose, if you go in for that sort of thing..."

October 16, 2007 2:37 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

In my world, truly amazing things would be self evident. They don't need to be set-up by the preacher. If nothingjavascript:void(0)
Publish Your Comment else, I would turn in on its head and let the preacher start telling the story first and then explain why they thought it was 'amazing'.

When I took art lessons as a kid, my teacher would say to me "It is a poor painting which needs a sign 'This is a lion and not a dog'"

October 16, 2007 7:13 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

True, true...but people need to say something to fill in the pauses in their conversation...lead into things and out of things or fill space while they're shifting through their papers.

October 17, 2007 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home