Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Stuck in my craw...

So, I usually glance at the Likutei Peshatim flyer every Shabbos to see the local 'happenings'. Last Saturday, I caught this disturbing paragraph and it really rubbed me the wrong way (emphasis mine):

Answers:
Hashem used reverse psychology. Hashem understood that if it would be prohibited, man would desire to transgress the prohibition. Hashem wanted to remove the evil inclination’s influence for a captive woman during war by permitting this under certain circumstances.

Is it just me that thinks that this sounds perversely ridiculous?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

Well...I guess there's something to be said for people doing stuff just because it's forbidden- it's one of the stock arguments trotted out in the legalization of drugs arguments. I mean, I don't think the main reason that people want to sleep with beautiful prisoners is the illicit thrill, but it might be a factor.

Also- Likutei Peshatim! Nostalgic thrill.

September 05, 2007 1:25 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Actually, it's the "reverse psychology" bit that got to me. Talk about making God human...

September 05, 2007 7:08 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

Hey, G-d was G-d before humans were humans. You think He didn't know from reverse psychology?
And I have to agree with Tobie; Likutei Pshatim gave me a nostalgic thrill too....

September 05, 2007 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home