Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz...

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
-Janice Joplin

So I am listening to some Olympic Gold medal winner thanking G-d for making her win, and all her fans that were praying for her. Is it just me, or does the idea that G-d wanted her to win sound ridiculous. Same for all the crazy baseball players that cross themselves before coming up to bat. Do you really think that G-d thinks to himself, I want the Cardinals to beat the Cubs tonight?

6 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

LOL, wouldn't it be funny though, if that were true?!

February 15, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger AS said...

Well my father sure hopes so...he's a cardinal fan :)

February 15, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

well...it's all a bit tricky, innit?
I mean, if you don't believe that God ever answers prayers or intervenes in the world, there goes religion, but if you believe He directly pops in and alters reality for your entertainment, you're an idiot. Fine line there. Moments ago, I tripped and fell on my school bag. My first thought was, "Thank you, God. You know, I really didn't need that right now." My second was, "Idiot! That's what happens when you leave things lying in the middle of the floor." I like my second reaction better.

February 15, 2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Stevin,

Kind of reminds me of the Arab saying "Trust in G-d, but tie your camel!"

February 15, 2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Tobie,

You bet yer *ss it's tricky. Even trickier if something really terrible is happening to you and you're trying to figure out if G-d is trying to give you a sign. The problem is most of the time you can interpret the sign either way!

The old argument about transcendance and immanence.

February 15, 2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

If G-d hates the Cubs than the obvious question a human has to ask is - Why?

February 17, 2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home