Wednesday, February 08, 2006

pIcAsSo?

In reading a book on Picasso, what struck me was how he seemed to fixate on certain ideas and draw them compulsively, over and over again. For example - guitars, bulls/bullfighters, clowns. What makes someone do that? Did he do it on purpose, as a gimmick? Or was there something in his brain that just got stuck in an infinite loop? I get the sense that he was a slave to his muse. I don't know if his obsession had a purpose, but I don't think he was in control.

I used to think that I didn't like or understand modern art, but I don't think this is the case. I think that many people assume that if you look at something by Picasso or Kandinsky or Chagall, it has to be great, and you must just "not get it". But I think that is just lemming-think. Even a great artist has variation in the quality of their work - some are great and some are not so great. This book really openened my eyes to this fact by juxtaposing some of the art that I've never really seen before - and it's great!

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

That's so interesting. What book was it? Who's the author?

February 08, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Here

February 08, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Mississippi Fred MacDowell said...

A lot of artists tend to do that (get stuck in a loop). And very often it is of something that seems inconsequential to anyone else. I guess it demonstrates how single-minded commitment to something is an essential element in what makes someone great at something.

February 09, 2006 5:31 AM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Thanks!

February 09, 2006 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home