Sunday, February 05, 2006

And now for something completely different...



I wound up at a Russian restaurant on Saturday night for my cousin's 40th birthday. My whole family was there including my cousin the Communist and his Protestant wife, and my cousin who is engaged to an Iraqi named Hussein.

For those who have never been to a Russian restaurant (meaning one that primarily caters to Eastern Europeans), you should go just to understand that there is a parallel universe that's hiding behind a non-descript door. I will not describe the excesses of food, libation, dress, and nicotine. If any of you recall the restaurant scenes from the movie "The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover", you get the gist.

As my wife and I keep kosher we could not partake, and so we sat back drinking vodka and Cokes for most of the night as we watched my family boogie to the melange of EuroPop, Italian Ballads, and Russian/Jewish standards.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Wow! Your family sounds even crazier than mine! That was a great description of Russian restaurant... I'll be visiting one of those soon... To be honest, I'm not too crazy about them. Too much drinking, too much noise, too many people. I do like how everyone dresses up, though. And no nicotine in NYC, not with the new laws!!!

February 06, 2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger dbs said...

I can't top that, but I was just at a place called 'Burger Continetal', a family-style Armenian restaurant with live Greek music, belly dancing (... the litte kids get up and dance with them while the adults put dollars...), and trans-mediteranian cuisin.

I could have used some of those vodkas.

February 06, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Chana said...

That sounds so wonderful! It's great to be together with family members, especially if there's dancing music in the background, lots of delicious foods and exciting aromas. And what a wonderful mix of family members :)

February 06, 2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Chana,

Speaking of "lots of delicious foods and exciting aromas", the worst thing about that evening was that the waiters kept bringing out new dishes (must have been at least 12 courses) and offering it to us. I kept telling them politely that we were not going to be eating tonight, but with each new course the food was presented in front of us and the offer had to be declined each time. They must have thought we were insane:)

It was almost like being tortured...

February 06, 2006 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home