Sunday, January 29, 2006

The gift of an I


A few days ago, my thoughtful wife, noticing my newly discovered interest in calligraphy and manuscripts, bought me a little present. It consisted of an illuminated capital (majuscule) letter I from a 15th century antiphonal.

The letter is drawn with vermilion and purple dye on vellum, with exquisite artwork surrounding it. However, the most incredible thing about this present is the feeling, the sense of history you get by holding something 500 or 600 years old in your hands.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

That sounds SO awesome! Where did she find it? Could you tell us more about it?!

January 29, 2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Actually, I was amazed to find that there are so many ancient artifacts out in the world that are relatively affordable and not hard to obtain. Check out the stuff on eBay, for example. My wife found this in an antique map shop in town.

Don't know if I can describe it any more than I did. If I get my act together tonite, maybe I'll snap a picture and upload. It's worth a 1000 words you know.

January 30, 2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

That would be great!

January 30, 2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Thanks for putting up the picture! That's great!

January 30, 2006 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home