Thursday, February 16, 2006

A night at the Opera


Went to see Rigoletto last night. Had a pretty good time. It's been a long time since I've gone to the opera and acted like a civilized human being. My wife took the train into the city. I met her at the station and presented her with a single red rose.

The performance was good, although you can definitely tell the difference between a world class voice and what I heard. Nonetheless, the singing, especially the lead soprano was impressive. Good set design as well. And of course, Verdi's music is sublime, especially the fourth Act where everything culminates. "La donna รจ mobile" is one of my favorite arias. It is said that at the rehearsals for the premiere of the opera in Venice, Verdi did not show this aria to the tenor until two days before the premiere. The aria was so catchy that he didn't want the gondoliers singing it before the work debuted.

One thing that really struck me was the graphic nature of this production. I don't recall ever going to an opera where you see a man having simulated sex with a half naked woman on the stage. I am not a prude, but I was taken aback a little by how explicit this was.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

You should check out the production they had at the Met here! It was awesome!

February 16, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Deal! You pick up the tickets and the plane ride, I promise to show up :)

February 16, 2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Whoa! You're a Crustacean already! MMm, good!

February 16, 2006 9:25 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

That's temporary. As soon as Godol's post scrolls off his front page, I'll be back to being a Wiggly Worm.

February 16, 2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home