Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reading a Holocaust Book

So, I had this Holocaust book sort of thrust upon me. I am usually not one to read Holocaust books, but somehow I wound up reading it.

It's not a very well written book. I don't think the author is a good writer. But the stories are compelling. The history of another small town in Galicia that I'd never heard of. Really the same story as all the other towns.

The book is basically a guy trying to figure out what happened to a part of his family during the war. Just a regular guy, just a regular family.

Here's something he says that I didn't know about (assuming it's true). Apparently, the constant shooting of women and children eventually got the to German soldiers and they were having problems doing it. That is one of the reasons why they had to switch from mass shootings to gassings.

I have to confess, as I was reading the stories of the degradations and the depravity of what the Nazis did to the poor people of this town, I started having sort of subliminal thoughts - maybe this is being exaggerated. It was really hard to believe that this could actually be true. But then I remembered of what happened at Abu Ghraib with the US soldiers and the Iraqi prisoners and I thought better.

2 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

I don't read those books.

June 29, 2011 5:13 PM  
Anonymous BBQ Recipes said...

Thank you foor writing this

May 27, 2023 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home