Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gays are the new Jews

I was walking past some newspaper stand and I saw another front page story about gay marriage, and I thought to myself - it is interesting how a fairly small minority can elevate its concerns to such a visible level. I mean, let's go with the commonly thrown around statistics of 10 per cent of the population is gay. It is still a very small minority - yet their concerns are always on the front page. You'd think, why would the rest of the population care - but they do. Gay rights have become a huge topic.

And then I started thinking that this has always been the story with the Jews - you'd think a tiny minority in the world would be almost invisible, yet the whole world concerns themselves with the Jews. And somehow, Jews are always able to elevate their problems to the top of the world's agenda...

Interesting parallel...

1 Comments:

Blogger evanstonjew said...

There are other similarities.Both Jews and gays can't stop talking about themselves, and the more they say the more remains to be said. Both groups are aggresive and defensive at the same time, as well as self pitying.

I have often wondered why these similarities exist. I don't really know, but perhaps both groups suffer, both collectively and individually from a sort of post traumatic stress disorder. I realize the idea needs work.

Boyarin in his book "Unheroic Conduct", tries to give charedi Jews a sort of sissy gayish spin, and contrasts their historic passivity with the new Zionist machismo.

June 25, 2009 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home