Thursday, March 19, 2009

lytdybr

Working from home today... My current client has me sitting on the trading floor. The noise is something else. Traders typically have little noises set up on their workstations which tell them when certain events happen, such as a fill on an order, etc... Imagine trying to concentrate while sitting in a room with gongs, dings, laser beam sounds, hoo-hahs, and worse going off all around you at max volume and echoing off the walls. It is like working at an arcade.

Then, after trading hours are over, junior traders huddle in a corner and practice mock trading. The last place I worked was much smaller and they didn't have too many floor traders so my first day here, I was sitting at my desk trying to get my work done when all of a sudden, there is a crowd of maybe fifteen people standing in the corner of this giant trading floor screaming, jumping and waving their hands. I thought there was a fire in the building. That lasts for about two minutes and then everyone stops. Then five minutes later it starts again. It was like being in an insane asylum...

3 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

1984. Temporary assignment at Erhard Seminar Training HQ on California just above Grant.

The person I was filling in for had called in after lunch one day to say that he was in Boston now, and not ever coming back from lunch.

Every fifteen minutes or so some deadline or target would be met somewhere on the floor - and the place would erupt in wild cheering and clapping. Because. The. Deadline. Or. Target. For. That. Quarter. Hour. Had. Been. Met. Huzza!

I lasted three days there. They terminated my employ because I was not ecstatic.

March 19, 2009 7:01 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

>They terminated my employ because I was not ecstatic.

Perhaps you didn't have enough flair?
;)

March 19, 2009 7:14 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Yesterday I made a margin comment in a financial statement which I am reading that references that movie.

The text in the statement reads: "Each job was reviewed to improve the method of performance and maximize efficiencies. Quantifiable engineered standards were developed to measure individual associate performance, with the assistance of outside consultants...".

My comment: Bob & Bob.

March 20, 2009 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home