Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Süßkind von Trimberg


A wolf spoke full of pain:
Now where should I remain?
Since I live off man
I must remain in ban
But I was born this way, the fault is not mine
many a man is in pleasant circumstances
whom one sees deal falsely
and evidently acquire wealth
with sinful aspirations
He does much worse than if I take a goose
I have not enough gold
to pay for my food
therefore I must steal it out of hunger
In his way, the false man acts much worse than I
and yet wishes to appear innocent (source)

1 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

jaemerlichen = kvetshedik, kretshish.

diu schult, diun ist nicht mîn = that flaw (guilt, fault), it is not mine.

der tuot wirser vil, dan ob ich naem ein genslein = (he) does worse (by) much, than if I had taken a gosling.

durch hungers nôt = by means of hunger's need.

der valsch in sîner wîse ist schedelîcher, dan ich,
unt wil unschuldic sîn = (he) who is false (evil) in his ways is more damaging (damage-causing) than I, and wishes to be innocent (guiltless).

This is not far from Dutch. Quite comprehensible.

March 11, 2008 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home