Thursday, February 21, 2008

Tales of Brave Ulysses

So last night was the lunar eclipse, which we saw perfectly clearly through our windows - a good thing given that it was freezing outside.

My third grader was duly impressed - I also showed him Saturn and Regulus which made a triangle with the moon. He remembered that Regulus was the name of Sirius Black's brother; the kid has got an unbelievable memory for trivia! A few minutes later, he called me to look out the window again. he said that he found Orion's belt. I was pretty dubious, but sure enough, he did. he started telling me the story of Orion.

I guess they are doing a unit on Greek mythology, and so he was telling me also about Hercules and the Golden Apples, and all sorts of other stuff. I was pleasantly surprised, because I figured that kind of stuff would not be taught in an Orthodox day school. Good for them!

All this talk put me in the mood to listen to some old Cream( listen along if you are so inclined):
Her name is Aphrodite and she rides a crimson shell,
And you know you cannot leave her for you touched the distant sands
With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear Clapton's wah wah going through my brain right now!

February 25, 2008 6:47 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Another reader who appreciates good music! Welcome.

February 25, 2008 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home