Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Il nome della rosa

I understood at that moment my master's method of reasoning, and it seemed to me quite alien to that of the philosopher, who reasons by first principles, so that his intellect almost assumes the ways of the divine intellect. I understood that, when he didn't have an answer, William proposed many to himself, very different one from another. I remained puzzled.

"But then... " I ventured to remark, "you are still far from a solution... "

"I am very close to one," William said, "but I don't know which."

"Therefore you don't have a single answer to your questions."

"Adso, if I did I would teach theology in Paris."

"In Paris do they always have the true answer?"

"Never," William said, "but they are very sure of their errors."

3 Comments:

Blogger Miri said...

Being very sure of of one's errors is a very good step. It is always helpful, in the search for what is, to be able to definitively know what is not.

July 18, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

I don't think that he meant what you mean. I think he meant that they view their errors as truth...

July 18, 2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Miri said...

It's possible...I really didn't read it that way, but then I read an out-of-context excerpt. So perhaps you are right. But in any case errors as errors are still truth, in my personal opinion, so it really works both ways....

July 18, 2007 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home