Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bittul Z'man

It wasn't until I discovered the J-Blogosphere that I became aware of how much mental energy is expended on arguing who is or is not a heretic vs a true believer. Maybe it is no different than people arguing in other forums about whether Macs are better than PCs, Windows is better than Linux, fluoride in the water is a Communist plot, Communism is better than Capitalism, et cetera, ad nauseum.

What is amazing to me is:

  • How much time people waste arguing this stuff, really for no benefit what so ever. Go read a book, or study some Torah, or cure cancer, for Pete's sake instead of going over and over the same ground for an eternity.
  • How little self awareness people have that their arguments are completely non-effective, especially in this type of forum, which just doesn't lend itself to a discussion at this level.
  • How addictive these arguments can be. By the time you're done reading it, there is an irresistible compulsion to join the fray.
I am formally resolving to not spend any time reading these threads from this point on.

A LATE REALIZATION WHICH MAY LEAD TO A CONFLICT:

Some of these discussions, e.g. on XGH's blog, though pointless in themselves, will sometimes reference a link or a concept which upon further research is thought provoking and interesting. To what degree does the benefit of discovering such gems negate the overall negative aspects of following the debate, as mentioned in the original post?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that mean you will no longer be visiting my blog?
XGH

February 28, 2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger Shoshana said...

How do you determine which blogs are a waste of time to read and which aren't?

February 28, 2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

No, I will; just that I will read past the debates and pick out the gold nuggets of wit and humor.

:)

February 28, 2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Shoshana,

I didn't mean that the blogs are a waste of time, but the debating is...

So if I see a lot of those debates I will not even take the time to scroll through them...

I am not saying this to blacklist anyone, just a self-realization of how much energy and time it takes away from other pursuits.

February 28, 2007 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pointless discussions on XGH???!!!

I'm not mekabel.

And your security code thingy is VERY annoying.

February 28, 2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

I wasn't trying to offend you, XGH, and I wasn't even implying that your posts are pointless, but many of these discussions just seem to go around and around in circles. I think you admit that yourself in your more introspective moods.

I put the security code thing in because of spam. I can try to turn it off and see if it is OK.

February 28, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger dbs said...

hmmm, a debate on meaningless debate, count me in!

March 01, 2007 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home