Thursday, December 10, 2009

Narishe tsionistn part 2

So about a month back I posted this video from Oy Division doing a song called "Oy Ir Narishe Tsionistn".

The lyrics are:
Oy ir narishe tsionistn (Oh you foolish zionists)
Mit ayer ketsenem moyechl, (With your cat's brains)
Kumt aroys tsu dem arbaytsman, (Come out to the workingman)
Un lernt aych bay im seychl (And learn some common sense from him)

Naturally I figured the song was written by some Bundist, but that's because I didn't know about the next verse

Ir kluge bundistn (You smart Bundists)
Oyf ale birzhes tut ir loyfn (You run to all the exchanges)
Ven es bevvayzt zich nor a kozakl, (No sooner does a little Cossack appear)
Hoybt ir bald on tsu antloyfn (Then you being to run)

So, it turns out that this song was written by some guy who was staying on the sidelines and making fun of both of these parties...

And then I found out that the tune and the words were a parody of an older song making fun of Chassidim. That song was called "Kum aher du filozof" and it went like this:

Kum aher, du filozof
Mit dayn kortzn maychl
Un zets zich tsu tsum rebn’s tish
Dort vestu lernen seychl.
Yam, bam, bam, bam…

[Found this info in this book]

2 Comments:

Blogger Uri Freedman said...

Did you learn about the quoted 2nd verse in Ruth Rubin's book(which I've not yet gotten...)? If so, can you cite the page number for me. Thanks in advance.

March 27, 2015 4:16 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Uri, I can't recall where I found the second verse. I don't have the Rubin book, I was looking at the Google Books preview online. It definitely had the Filozof song, but I can't recall if it had the second verse of the bundistn. I tried searching for it but I am not finding anything. Sorry.

April 09, 2015 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home