Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This may turn me vegetarian...

Chinese go beyond the pale...
This may turn me into a f*ckin vegetarian:

In order to keep the carp alive chefs cook its body but wrap its head in a wet cloth to keep it breathing, before covering it in sauce and serving in on a plate.

The YouTube video shows diners, who are laughing and joking, prodding the fish while it is still moving, before picking it apart with chopsticks.


This reminded me, quite inappropriately of Rabbi Chaninah ben Tradyon's execution...

4 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

Ah yes. Known as "West Lake Fish".
Cooked extremely quickly.
A delicacy.

Not one I wish to try. The closest I come to such things is going across the hill to Chinatown for live fish, crustaceans, or eel.

So superlatively fresh that it is still talking-back when I get home.

It will be killed before the cooking begins.

One could argue that the carp in West Lake Fish is wiggling merely as post-mortem twitches, rather like the scientific frog, and not really alive. But I would instead offer that while there are still signs of life it should not go into the pot in the first place.

November 18, 2009 2:04 PM  
Blogger Tobie said...

I think that fish do not have a central nervous system. Which means that probably this fish was not actually experiencing the agony that you see in its desperate, pleading eyes. It's still... wow.

November 18, 2009 11:41 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Tobie,

I didn't realize this about fish. I did find some divergent views on the question of fish feeling pain.

Of course, to me it isn't just about the fish, it is about the people's behavior.

November 19, 2009 6:25 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

Yeah, it's hard for that to be anything other than horrific. I mean, even if you knew that it felt absolutely nothing and was actually dead and was being pulled around by threads- I don't see how eating something that is still moving isn't horrifying and sickening.

November 19, 2009 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home