Thursday, June 05, 2008

The assault on the sanctity of Shabbos (mode) ovens

From Wolfish Musings:

In our opinion, use of “Sabbath Mode” to change the temperature of an oven on Yom Tov represents an assault on the sanctity of Shabbos and Yom Tov and will lead to deterioration in their observance. We hereby declare that one may not rely on “Sabbath Mode” operation to adjust oven temperatures on Yom Tov despite the presence of a Hechsher on these ovens.

I can see the possibility of disagreeing with other halachic authorities that may have permitted adjusting the temp of the oven through the Sabbath Mode setting. I can see that perhaps a better understanding came to light of how such use may not truly be permitted, but the phrasing of this just really sticks in my craw! Really, the use of Sabbath Mode on Yom Tov is an "assault on the sanctity of Shabbos and Yom Tov"? It will lead to "deterioration in their observance"? What a bunch of drama queens. Yes, it is a slippery slope. First I adjust my Sabbath Mode oven, and the next thing I am eating ham and cheese sandwiches while I mow my lawn on Yom Kippur.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home