Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Yossl Birstein

I'll tell you a story.

The main hero of my new book is a "workhorse", as I love to say, because he pulls the whole wagon of the plot. He is in Poland; arrives in a small town to read lectures. About the philosophy of Immanuel Kant. In this tiny shtetl in Poland - they just can't live without the philosophy of Kant. So the Yiddishists invited him to talk about Kant. This was in the attic, under a barn roof. There was a Zionist there and he said: "We also want a lecture about Kant". So he went over to the Zionists. Then to the Bundists. Finally, he wound up at a tailor's. The tailor said "I'd like you to meet my second wife. She is also my first wife. I got divorced and then re-married." Then, some time later, the tailor pointed out the same woman and said "This is my third wife. I got divorced and married her again." My hero asked: "How? Why?" "It's a small town, - answered the tailor. - There is not a lot to choose from."
(translated from here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home