Thursday, January 17, 2008

Weird Free Associations

Some frum high schooler's blog mentioned some of the subjects in the school, like Navi, Mussar, and Halacha. Not ever having gone to a religious Jewish high school, these subjects struck as as so odd. I am not sure why, but I guess in my mind I always associated high school with Algebra, History, Gym. Hearing things like Mussar and Halacha as names of classes is like something out of Harry Potter. "I have my Defense against the Dark Art class in the morning, followed by Potions and Magical Creatures after lunch".

***
A little while back, Chana, the Curious Jew, wrote something about Stern College staging the musical "Little Shop of Horrors". Stern, being an all women school, cast young women for all roles, including the males. I don't know why this struck me as odd, but it did. For some reason I associated this with Elizabethan England, and boys playing the parts of women on stage, due to the impropriety of women acting.

1 Comments:

Blogger -suitepotato- said...

I think the reason so many Jews who speak so little Hebrew otherwise stick with the Hebrew words as well as the Yiddish ones that have crept in is simple tradition more than anything else. But, if you think about it, the English or any other translations to the local majority language don't sound as cool.

This is really the reason so many Catholics like Latin. It sounds cool.

January 18, 2008 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home