Friday, November 16, 2007

Bass-ically OK


So, following up on my decision to actually enjoy my life, I purchased a bass guitar(see pic) and a little practice amp. I have to say that I really enjoy this little present to myself. What's funny is that every time I hear any kind of music, I seem to subconsciously focus much more on the bass parts in the song. I really seems to stand out to me now.
The progress I am making is OK. On the one hand, since I know how to play guitar, I know the notes etc... So could pretty much hit the ground running and be able to produce something that doesn't sound like total crap.
On the other hand, I know that my technique sucks and that I really should be focusing on the basics - doing finger strength exercises, playing slowly and with a metronome, and probably signing up for some lessons to make sure that I start out learning how to do things the right way, instead of just learning bad habits which will be hard to break later. But it is hard to discipline myself, even though I know that that is the right thing to do. I think it would have been easier if I did know anything at all, since then I would have a choice but to start at the beginning...

Oh, here's one of the songs I started practicing...

2 Comments:

Blogger Shoshana said...

Very cool. I think you should post a video of yourself playing it - all the chicks will dig it :) (but your wife might not appreciate that so much).

November 16, 2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Oy, Shoshana, I don't think the chicks can handle all the mojo of a video of e-kvetcher playing his bass.

November 19, 2007 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home