Thursday, June 22, 2006

Freedom to speak

First an old joke:

An American and a Soviet meet. The American says, "You Soviets aren't free. I can stand outside the White House and scream 'Ronald Reagan is an idiot!' and nothing will happen to me." The Soviet replies - "We are just as free as you are. I can stand in front of the Kremlin and scream 'Ronald Reagan is an idiot!' and nothing will happen to me"

And now for something serious. In the j-blogosphere, being a reflection of real life, it is getting harder and harder to question and explore certain ideas which are deemed "politically incorrect" especially wrt Jews. This is not a new thing, but it really bothers me. Examples include the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the Holocaust, "Jews behaving badly", etc...

I am not naive. I understand the motivations for this pressure, and frankly I don't deny that many of the reasons for this are valid. So I don't really have a good solution for this, except it feels wrong to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Hmm... the thing is... I don´t reallly see why anyone should FEEL pressured. Your blog is your blog. You´re not going to get arrested for writing what you really think. The worst that can happen is you´re going to get a bunch of nasty comments, which you can respond to, ignore, or delete.

June 22, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

No, it can get worse than a few nasty comments. I've had my blog seriously hacked several times just in the past few weeks. It isn't funny. Moreover, it's cowardly. I think I read about some covert group that was doing this to Israeli websites that weren't "up to their standards" or something. I don't remember the exact context, but clearly, some "warriors for Hashem" misguidingly think they are modern day Pinchases, when in reality, they are nothing more than common vandals and arrogant ego-ists trying to impose their own vision of Torah upon everyone else.

June 22, 2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Liorah,

Did you try talking to Blogger about it? It seems like they need to fix this on their side.

June 22, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger Neil Harris said...

The emes is that it's much easier to rant and put down others than try to say something positive. As the saying goes, "think before you blog".

June 23, 2006 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home