Thursday, August 11, 2005

Intelligent Design?

I was going to write a post about my problems with Intelligent Design, but The New Republic beat me to it.

I would like to add a couple of my own observations. Religious Jews seem to think that teaching ID in public schools is a wonderful thing. I think it is a horribly dangerous change. It is clear that the majority of ID support comes from Christian fundamentalists. Once the line is broken, we will once again have a situation where Christian dogma will be promulgated at the expense of others. This actually won't affect the religious jews that send their kids to private religious schools, but for the majority of the Jewish population who do it will be a heck of a situation to be in. As someone who had to sing Christmas carols in a Chicago public school since the teachers thought there'd be no harm in getting all the kids into the Christmas spirit, I can tell you it is a lousy place to be in.

For those who say that ID is not just a front for fundamentalist Christians, perhaps they would enjoy Forbidden Archaelogy, a nice text debunking evolution by a couple of Hindu mystics. Why not, their theories are just as good as anyone else's, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a goy boy who was forced to eat cardboard, er, Matzoh instead of pizza at my Jewish friends' homes growing up, I understand your pain.

September 30, 2005 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home